Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Online Advertising (Part Two)

I mentioned in a previous post that I didn't mind online advertising that formed itself in response to the user's personal tastes. In particular, I'm citing Amazon for this trend. I still don't mind it as much as others, but the logic processors of these computers are fried once in a while. Case in point:

This morning, I logged on to Amazon to check on a pending order and then went to the front page. Usually, when I do this I just see small items alerting me to the pending release of a DVD that is related to one I purchased through Amazon before. They're not obnoxious, but they are there. This time, they have a new feature called a "plog" where the whole front page is nothing but chunky paragraphs listing "Fill-in-the-blank was released recently; We thought you'd be interested because you bought Fill-in-the-blank". Again, I have no real problem with this. However, here are some examples:

All in the Family - The Complete First Season was released just 7 days ago on July 6, 2004; We thought you'd be interested because you bought M*A*S*H - Season One (Collector's Edition).
Nice comparison. Classic sitcoms from the Seventies, and I do like both of them. No problem.

The Name of the Rose was released just 7 days ago on July 6, 2004; We thought you'd be interested because you bought The Lion in Winter.
Again, Nice comparison. Riveting dramas set in Medieval Europe. No problem.

Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines (Widescreen Edition) was released today; We thought you'd be interested because you bought Looney Tunes - The Golden Collection.
Hmmm. Uh, hmm. Well, I can't really say I see a connection here. I actually saw T3 in theaters and, I have to say, I enjoyed far more than I thought I would. However, I don't recall any scenes with Bugs, Daffy or any animated characters at all.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, though. I mean, in T2 and T3, you have battles between Terminators where stuff is done to them that no normal human being can take. The same could be said of Sylvester the Cat and Wile E. Coyote when they end up taking anvils to the head and falling from great heights only to get back up again and keep going...just like Terminators!

Still, I guess I must have missed the scene in T3 where Arnold Schwarzenegger slams into the brick wall onto which Kristanna Loken had painted the mouth of a tunnel.

No comments: